24 June, 2012

The man biking on the freeway.

There are many moments in my life that I do not recap. I suppose it's because there are so many moments that my brain can hardly recount them all at once. To recount them all at once would be insanity or maybe even sanity. Maybe that's what they mean when they say, "I saw my life flash before my eyes."

I forgot that I saw a man biking on a freeway - consumed by other pertinent matters such as hunger I forgot about him. For some reason when I think about it, I think of Fight Club. How things are so disturbingly refreshing. The man biking on a freeway stopping traffic. What the fuck? When I drive things look all the same. I think that's why people yell and fight and cuss and become demons when they drive. It's because we're all bored. The lines, the cement, the lines again, the occasional red lights, the occasional car crash, the occasional pretend race with the person next to you. Driving can be fucking boring.

One day, as I was driving on the 10, I saw a man on his bicycle. He had tattoos, which I suppose in my parent's words would make him a "bad" person. He was riding a black low rider/beach cruiser of some sorts. He seemed happy. I think everyone around him was just in shock. I'm not sure how he got on the freeway or how he ended up there. Maybe he woke up and was like, "I'm going to ride on the fucking freeway today." Maybe he woke up and thought he had nothing to lose. Maybe he had a bad night or maybe a great night. Maybe he woke up and felt like it was a regular boring day and felt the urgency to make it irregular. He wasn't just riding on the side of the freeway, he was zipping across lanes. It was nuts - at the same time I saw him smile and he was happy and that is what I remember vividly. How free he must of felt, how on the edge he must of been, how I don't give a fuck he must of thought. This was but a few seconds. Just as quickly as he caught my attention, I went back to focusing on the road, the lines, the cement, the lines again, the occasional red lights, the occasional car crash, the occasional pretend race with the person next to me and I forget about the man biking on the freeway.

---

Your dad has been listening to this album over and over and over again. Your dad and your brother are very similar.
What do you mean?
When they like something they listen to it over and over again.
I do the same thing. I do the same thing too.


No comments:

Post a Comment