14 June, 2012

Thursday Thoughts: Keep your light, keep your own.

I like being breathless because the moment when you get to breath - it feels really good.
I like being uncomfortable because the moment you feel comfortable - it feels really good.
I like losing things because the moment you find it or it comes back to you - it feels really good.

I often say that I hate waiting, but it teaches you patience, hardens you and it teaches you not to rely on someone, and not to have expectations for them to fulfill you.

Get up yourself.

---

Ride that bike up a steep hill when others walk because you want to be badass.
The sun beats - the river sounds -  let clarity hit you in a way caffeine does.
The breeze slips through humidity to say hi to you. 

---

My heart is really full. I feel that it is full. There is no question there. Other people don't have full hearts and I can feel it. They are sadly empty or in search of things to fill what to them is empty. Cities, places, people, music, art, curiosity, patterns, laughter and experiences fill mine because I let it. I rarely let other things fill it. 

Take it as you will.

---

I can't let that external gratification define the worth of what I'm doing" - Chris Chu, Pop ETC.

---

From one of my favorite authors of all time - Bill Bryson taken from his autobiography "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" (Funny how I have so much in common with this white male from Iowa)

"Thanks to such investigations and the abundance of time that made them possible, I knew more things in the first ten years of my life than I believe I have known at any time since. I knew everything there was to know about our house for a start. I knew what was written on the undersides of tables and what the view was like from the tops of bookcases and wardrobes. I knew what was to be found at the back of every closet, which beds had the most dust balls beneath them, which ceilings had the most interesting stains, where exactly the patterns in wallpaper repeated. I knew how to cross every room in the house without touching the floor, where my father kept his spare change and how much you could safely take without his noticing (one seventh of the quarters, one fifth of the nickels and dimes, as many of the pennies as you could carry). I knew how to relax in an armchair in more than one hundred positions and on the floor in approximately seventy-five more. I knew what the world looked like when viewed through a Jell-O lens. I knew how things tasted - damp wash clothes, pencil ferrules, coins and buttons, and almost anything made of plastic that was smaller than, say, a clock radio, mucus of every variety of course - in a way that I have more or less forgotten now."

Read because reading in essence is a revolutionary act in itself. My ability to read and comprehend the English langauge is transformative. I can fucking read things about the Midwest and can some how relate to it. I have the ability to share what the human condition is. I have the ability to connect across cultures because I understand English and because I can speak two other languages. It's a magical thing you see, to connect across cultures. Read because reading is a fucking revolutionary act. It's sad to see that no one really reads any more. How it fills me. Much of the world cannot read. But words, words make emotions tangible. The written word is even more tangible, transferable, and lasting.

---

And there starts my Thursday. Excuse my contradictions.




1 comment:

  1. no need to excuse the contradictions, for they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete